[openstack-dev] Paste unmaintained

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:53:36 UTC 2018

On 08/02/2018 09:36 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2018, Stephen Finucane wrote:
>
>> Given that multiple projects are using this, we may want to think about
>> reaching out to the author and seeing if there's anything we can do to
>> at least keep this maintained going forward. I've talked to cdent about
>> this already but if anyone else has ideas, please let me know.
>
> I've sent some exploratory email to Ian, the original author, to get
> a sense of where things are and whether there's an option for us (or
> if for some reason us wasn't okay, me) to adopt it. If email doesn't
> land I'll try again with other media
>
> I agree with the idea of trying to move away from using it, as
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread and in IRC, but it's not a simple
> step as at least in some projects we are using paste files as
> configuration that people are allowed (and do) change. Moving away
> from that is the hard part, not figuring out how to load WSGI
> middleware in a modern way.

++

Keystone has been battling this specific debate for several releases.
The mutable configuration goal in addition to some much needed technical
debt cleanup was the final nail. Long story short, moving off of paste
eases the implementations for initiatives we've had in the pipe for a
long time. We started an effort to move to flask in Rocky.

Morgan has been working through the migration since June, and it's been
quite involved [0]. At one point he mentioned trying to write-up how he
approached the migration for keystone. I understand that not every
project structures their APIs the same way, but a high-level guide might
be helpful for some if the long-term goal is to eventually move off of
paste (e.g. how we approached it, things that tripped us up, how we
prepared the code base for flask, et cetera).

I'd be happy to help coordinate a session or retrospective at the PTG if
other groups find that helpful.

[0]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/(status:open+OR+status:merged)+project:openstack/keystone+branch:master+topic:bug/1776504