[openstack-dev] [nova] How to debug no valid host failures with placement

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 23:18:36 UTC 2018

On 8/3/2018 9:14 AM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> I'm of two minds here.
>
> On the one hand, you have the case where the end user has accidentally
> requested some combination of things that isn't normally available, and
> they need to be able to ask the provider what they did wrong.  I agree
> that this case is not really an exception, those resources were never
> available in the first place.
>
> On the other hand, suppose the customer issues a valid request and it
> works, and then issues the same request again and it fails, leading to a
> violation of that customers SLA.  In this case I would suggest that it
> could be considered an exception since the system is not delivering the
> service that it was intended to deliver.

As I'm sure you're aware Chris, it looks like StarlingX has a kind of
post-mortem query utility to try and figure out where requested
resources didn't end up yielding a resource provider (for a compute node):

https://github.com/starlingx-staging/stx-nova/commit/71acfeae0d1c59fdc77704527d763bd85a276f9a#diff-94f87e728df6465becce5241f3da53c8R330

But as you noted way earlier in this thread, it might not be the actual
reasons at the time of the failure and in a busy cloud could quickly change.

Matt