[openstack-dev] [magnum] supported OS images and magnum spawn failures for Swarm and Kubernetes

Tobias Urdin tobias.urdin at binero.se
Fri Aug 3 12:46:02 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm testing around with Magnum and have so far only had issues.
I've tried deploying Docker Swarm (on Fedora Atomic 27, Fedora Atomic
28) and Kubernetes (on Fedora Atomic 27) and haven't been able to get it
working.

Running Queens, is there any information about supported images? Is
Magnum maintained to support Fedora Atomic still?
What is in charge of population the certificates inside the instances,
because this seems to be the root of all issues, I'm not using Barbican
but the x509keypair driver
is that the reason?

Perhaps I missed some documentation that x509keypair does not support
what I'm trying to do?

I've seen the following issues:

Docker:
* Master does not start and listen on TCP because of certificate issues
dockerd-current[1909]: Could not load X509 key pair (cert:
"/etc/docker/server.crt", key: "/etc/docker/server.key")

* Node does not start with:
Dependency failed for Docker Application Container Engine.
docker.service: Job docker.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

Kubernetes:
* Master etcd does not start because /run/etcd does not exist
** When that is created it fails to start because of certificate
2018-08-03 12:41:16.554257 C | etcdmain: open
/etc/etcd/certs/server.crt: no such file or directory

* Master kube-apiserver does not start because of certificate
unable to load server certificate: open
/etc/kubernetes/certs/server.crt: no such file or directory

* Master heat script just sleeps forever waiting for port 8080 to become
available (kube-apiserver) so it can never kubectl apply the final steps.

* Node does not even start and times out when Heat deploys it, probably
because master never finishes

Any help is appreciated perhaps I've missed something crucial, I've not
tested Kubernetes on CoreOS yet.

Best regards
Tobias