[openstack-dev] [nova] How to debug no valid host failures with placement

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:05:06 UTC 2018

On 8/1/2018 3:55 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> I changed disk_allocation_ratio to 2.0 in the config file and it had no
> effect on the existing resource provider.  I assume that is because I
> had initially deployed with it unset, so I got 1.0, and when I later
> wanted to change it the provider already existed with the default value.

Yeah I think so, unless the inventory changes we don't mess with
changing the allocation ratio.

>   So in the past I could do the following:
>
> 1) Change disk_allocation_ratio in nova.conf
> 2) Restart nova-scheduler and/or nova-compute
>
> Now it seems like I need to do:
>
> 1) Change disk_allocation_ratio in nova.conf
> 2) Restart nova-scheduler, nova-compute, and nova-placement (or some
> subset of those?)

Restarting the placement service wouldn't have any effect here.

> 3) Use osc-placement to fix up the ratios on any existing resource
> providers

Yeah that's what you'd need to do in this case.

I believe Jay Pipes might have somewhere between 3 and 10 specs for the
allocation ratio / nova conf / placement inventory / aggregates problems
floating around, so he's probably best to weigh in here. Like:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552105/

Matt