[openstack-dev] [all] Ongoing spam in Freenode IRC channels

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 1 14:58:03 UTC 2018

On 08/01/2018 08:38 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-08-01 09:58:48 -0300 (-0300), Rafael Weingärtner wrote:
>> What about Rocket chat instead of Slack? It is open source.
>> https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat
>>
>> Monty, what kind of evaluation would you guys need? I might be
>> able to help.
>
> Consider reading and possibly resurrecting the infra spec for it:
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/319506
>
> My main concern is how we'll go about authenticating and policing
> whatever gateway we set up. As soon as spammers and other abusers
> find out there's an open (or nearly so) proxy to a major IRC
> network, they'll use it to hide their origins from the IRC server
> operators and put us in the middle of the problem.

To be clear -- I was not suggesting running matrix and IRC. I was
suggesting investigating running a matrix home server and the
permanently moving all openstack channels to it.

matrix synapse supports federated identity providers with saml and cas
support implemented. I would imagine we'd want to configure it to
federate to openstackid for logging in to the home server -so that might
involve either adding saml support to openstackid or writing an
openid-connect driver to synapse.