[openstack-dev] [all] Ongoing spam in Freenode IRC channels

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 1 13:38:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-01 09:58:48 -0300 (-0300), Rafael Weingärtner wrote:
> What about Rocket chat instead of Slack? It is open source.
> https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat
>
> Monty, what kind of evaluation would you guys need? I might be
> able to help.

Consider reading and possibly resurrecting the infra spec for it:

    https://review.openstack.org/319506

My main concern is how we'll go about authenticating and policing
whatever gateway we set up. As soon as spammers and other abusers
find out there's an open (or nearly so) proxy to a major IRC
network, they'll use it to hide their origins from the IRC server
operators and put us in the middle of the problem.
--
Jeremy Stanley