[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Default scheduler filters survey

Mikhail Medvedev mihailmed at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 14:07:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/2018 09:18 AM, Mikhail Medvedev wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Another data point that might be illuminating is: how many sites use a
>>> custom (i.e., not in-tree) filter or weigher? One of the original design
>>> tenets of the scheduler was that we did not want to artificially limit what
>>> people could use to control their deployments, but inside of Nova there is a
>>> lot of confusion as to whether anyone is using anything but the included
>>> filters.
>>>
>>> So - does anyone out there rely on a filter and/or weigher that they
>>> wrote themselves, and maintain outside of OpenStack?
>>>

>> Internal cloud that is used for Power KVM CI single use VMs:
>>
>> AvailabilityZoneFilter
>> AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation
>> RetryFilter
>> RamFilter
>> ComputeFilter
>> ComputeCapabilitiesFilter
>> ImagePropertiesFilter
>> CoreFilter
>> NumInstancesFilter *
>> NUMATopologyFilter
>>
>> NumInstancesFilter is a custom weigher I have added that returns
>> negative number of instances on a host. Using it this way gives an
>> even spread of instances over the compute nodes up to a point the
>> compute cores are filled up evenly, then it overflows to the compute
>> nodes with more CPU cores. Maybe it is possible to achieve the same
>> with existing filters, at the time I did not see how.

Correction: above describes custom weigher I've added, not the in-tree
NumInstancesFilter.

> Hi Mikhail,
>
> Did you mean to say you created a new *weigher*, not filter?

Jay, thanks for spotting this, been awhile since I've done it.
NumInstancesFilter is a standard filter, so I obviously did not write
it.

I've added a custom weigher that I have created
(scheduler_weight_classes=pkvmci-os.nova.scheduler.weights.instance.InstanceWeigher)
and maintain locally.