[openstack-dev] [api] REST limitations and GraghGL inception?

Gilles Dubreuil gdubreui at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 03:53:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

Remember Boston's Summit presentation [1] about GraphQL [2] and how it
addresses REST limitations.
I wonder if any project has been thinking about using GraphQL. I haven't
find any mention or pointers about it.

GraphQL takes a complete different approach compared to REST. So we can
finally forget about REST API Description languages
(OpenAPI/Swagger/WSDL/WADL/JSON-API/ETC) and HATEOS (the hypermedia
approach which doesn't describe how to use it).

So, once passed the point where 'REST vs GraphQL' is like comparing SQL
and no-SQL DBMS and therefore have different applications, there are no
doubt the complexity of most OpenStack projects are good candidates for
GraphQL.

Besides topics such as efficiency, decoupling, no version management
need there many other powerful features such as API Schema out of the
box and better automation down that track.

It looks like the dream of a conduit between API services and consumers
might have finally come true so we could move-on an worry about other
things.

So has anyone already starting looking into it?

[1]
https://www.openstack.org/videos/boston-2017/building-modern-apis-with-graphql
[2] http://graphql.org