[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How should we handle projects with overlapping feature sets?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Apr 24 09:21:22 UTC 2018

Rico Lin wrote:
> I think we have a start now with providing a decent map to show services
> in OpenStack and fill in with projects. What we should have and will be
> nice is to ask projects to search through the map (with a brief
> introduction of services) when they're registering. To prevent
> overlapping from the very beginning seems to be the most ideal, which
> might also mean it's actually our responsibility to search through what
> exactly a project aims to and what kind of feature it will provide when
> we allow people to register a project.

I like the idea of asking a new project to tell us where they expect to
fit in the OpenStack Map[1]. Projects don't exist in a vacuum and the
more they fit in the existing layout / buckets the best the overall
"product" (framework of cooperating components) will look.

Personally I find that every time I have trouble placing a new project
on the map, it's symptomatic of a deeper issue (like unclear scope /
usage definition) that needs to be discussed early rather than late.

[1] https://www.openstack.org/openstack-map

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)