[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 20:47:11 UTC 2018

On 23/04/18 10:06, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [This is meant to be one of (I hope) several conversation-provoking
> questions directed at prospective TC members to help the community
> understand their positions before considering how to vote in the
> ongoing election.]
>
> Over the last year we have seen some contraction in the number of
> companies and individuals contributing to OpenStack. At the same
> time we have started seeing contributions from other companies and
> individuals. To some degree this contraction and shift in contributor
> base is a natural outcome of changes in OpenStack itself along with
> the rest of the technology industry, but as with any change it
> raises questions about how and whether we can ensure a smooth
> transition to a new steady state.
>
> What aspects of our policies or culture make contributing to OpenStack
> more difficult than contributing to other open source projects?
>
> Which of those would you change, and how?

There's probably two separate groups we need to consider. The first is
operators and users of OpenStack. We want those folks to contribute when
they see a problem or an opportunity to improve, and their feedback is
extremely valuable because they know the product best. We need to
encourage new contributors in this group and retain existing ones by:

* Reducing barriers to contributing, like having to register for
multiple services, sign a CLA &c. We're mostly aware of the problems in
this area and have been making incremental progress on them over a long
period of time.

* Encouraging people to get involved. Low-hanging-fruit bug lists are
useful. Even something like a link on every docs page indicating where
to edit the source would help encourage people to take that first step.
(Technically we have this when you click the 'bug' link - but it's not
obvious, and you need to sign up for a Launchpad account to use it...
see above.) Once people have done the initial setup work for a first
patch, they're more likely to contribute again. The First Contact SIG is
doing great work in this area.

* The most important one: provide prompt, actionable feedback on
changes. Nothing kills contributor motivation like having your changes
ignored for months. Unfortunately this is also the hardest one to deal
with; the situation is different in every project, and much depends on
the amount of time available from the existing contributors. Adding more
core reviewers helps; finding ways to limit the proportion of the code
base that a core reviewer is responsible for (either by splitting up
repos or giving cores a specific area of responsibility in a repo) would
be one way to train them quicker.

Another way, which I already alluded to in my candidacy message, is to
expand the pool of OpenStack users. One of my goals is to make OpenStack
an attractive cloud platform to write applications against, and not
merely somewhere to get a VM to run your application in. If we can
achieve that we'll increase the market for OpenStack and hence the
number of users and thus potential contributors. But those new users
would be more motivated than anyone to find and fix bugs, and they're
already developers so they'd be disproportionately more likely to
contribute code in addition to documentation or bug reports (which are
also important contributions).

The second group is those who are paid specifically to spend a portion
of their time on upstream contribution, which brings us to...

> Where else should we be looking for contributors?

Companies who are making money from OpenStack! It's their responsibility
to maintain the commons and, collectively speaking at least, their
problem if they don't.

For a start, we need to convince anybody who is maintaining a fork of
OpenStack to do something more useful with their money. Like, for
example, building it into a big pile and setting fire to it to keep warm.

Maybe education is something that can help here. For a lot of folks,
OpenStack is their first direct contact with an open source community.
If we could help them to learn why contributing is in their best
interest, and how to do it effectively, then we could make some
progress. It's pretty remarkable that there are Foundation board members
still asking the TC to direct employees of other companies to work on
the stuff they want them to for free.

cheers,
Zane.