[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:35:07 UTC 2018

On 4/23/2018 12:18 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> I would like for us to collect some more data about what efforts
> teams are making with encouraging new contributors, and what seems
> to be working or not. In the past we've done pretty well at finding
> new techniques by experimenting within one team and then adapting
> the results to scale them out to other teams.
>
> Does anyone have any examples of things that we ought to be trying more
> of?

The nova team is now trying runways [1] for trying to focus reviews on
blueprints which are ready but otherwise don't get the focus from the
core team.

The certificate validation stuff in there for the John Hopkins team is a
prime example of how this is putting focus on something that has
otherwise been getting deferred since at least the Ocata summit.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-runways-rocky

Matt