[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 14:34:05 UTC 2018

Culture wise, being too IRC-centric is definitely not helping, from my own
experience getting new Cyborg developer joining our weekly meeting from
China. Well we could always argue it is part of a open source/hacker
culture and preferable to commercial solutions that have the constant risk
of suddenly being shut down someday. But as OpenStack becomes more
commercialized and widely adopted, we should be aware that more and more
(potential) contributors will come from the groups who are used to
non-strictly open source environment, such as product develop team which
relies on a lot of "closed source" but easy to use softwares.

The change ? Use more video conferences, and more commercial tools that
preferred in certain region. Stop being allergic to non-open source
softwares and bring more capable but not hacker culture inclined
contributors to the community.

I know this is not a super welcomed stance in the open source hacker
culture. But if we want OpenStack to be able to sustain more developers and
not have a mid-life crisis then got fringed, we need to start changing the
hacker mindset.

Another important thing, as I stated in the previous email, is that
OpenStack should keep explore new technology directions and TC should take
the lead position on it. No matter how good we could facilitate the
contributors, a stale community cannot win more contributors. I'm against
hype like any other, but reluctant or lazy on innovation is another thing
and will cost the community to lose more and more existing and potential
contributors.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> [This is meant to be one of (I hope) several conversation-provoking
> questions directed at prospective TC members to help the community
> understand their positions before considering how to vote in the
> ongoing election.]
>
> Over the last year we have seen some contraction in the number of
> companies and individuals contributing to OpenStack. At the same
> time we have started seeing contributions from other companies and
> individuals. To some degree this contraction and shift in contributor
> base is a natural outcome of changes in OpenStack itself along with
> the rest of the technology industry, but as with any change it
> raises questions about how and whether we can ensure a smooth
> transition to a new steady state.
>
> What aspects of our policies or culture make contributing to OpenStack
> more difficult than contributing to other open source projects?
>
> Which of those would you change, and how?
>
> Where else should we be looking for contributors?
>
> Doug

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado