[openstack-dev] [nova] Notification update week 17

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Apr 23 13:07:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

New week, new status mail.

Bugs
----

New bugs
~~~~~~~~

[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1764927 Should send
out notification when instance metadata get updated
Nova already sends instance.update notification when instance.metadata
is changed so I marked the bug invalid.

Still open bugs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1757407 Notification sending
sometimes hits the keystone API to get glance endpoints
As the versioned notifications does not use the glance endpoints info
we can avoid hitting the keystone API if notification_format is set to
'versioned'

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1763051 Need to audit
when notifications are sent during live migration
We need to go throught the live migration codepath and make sure that
the different live migartion notifications sent at a proper time.

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1764390 Replace passing
system_metadata to notification functions with instance.system_metadata
usage
Fix has been proposed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561724 and
needs a final +2

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1764392 Avoid bandwidth
usage db query in notifications when the virt driver does not support
collecting such data

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1739325 Server operations
fail to complete with versioned notifications if payload contains unset
non-nullable fields
No progress. We still need to understand how this problem happens to
find the proper solution.

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1487038
nova.exception._cleanse_dict should use
oslo_utils.strutils._SANITIZE_KEYS
Old abandoned patches exist but need somebody to pick them up:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/215308/
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/388345/

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/versioned-notification-transformation-rocky+status:open
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/403660 Transform instance.exists
notification - needs a rebase and a final +2

Introduce instance.lock and instance.unlock notifications
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/trigger-notifications-when-lock-unlock-instances
Implementation proposed but needs some work:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526251/ - No progress. I've pinged the
author.

Add the user id and project id of the user initiated the instance
action to the notification
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-action-initiator-to-instance-action-notifications
Implementation patch exists but still needs work
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536243/ - No progress. I've pinged the
author.

Add request_id to the InstanceAction versioned notifications
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-request-id-to-instance-action-notifications
The main implementation patch has been merged. The follow up patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/562757 needs the final +2 Then the bp
can be marked as implemented.

Sending full traceback in versioned notifications
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-full-traceback-to-error-notifications
I have to propose the implementation.

Add versioned notifications for removing a member from a server group
The specless bp
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-server-group-remove-member-notifications
is pending approval as we would like to see the POC code first. Takashi
has been proposed the POC code https://review.openstack.org/#/c/559076/
so we have to look at it.

Factor out duplicated notification sample
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples+status:open
It seems we are done with this. Every notification sample is either
small on its own (e.g. flavor.create) or already based on common sample
fragments. Thanks to everybody who contributed time to this effort. \o/

Weekly meeting
The next meeting will be held on 24th of April on #openstack-meeting-4
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20180424T170000

Cheers,