[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question related to new projects

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 23:06:30 UTC 2018

As the one who just lead a new project into governance last year, I think I
could take a first stab at it.

For me the current requirements in general works fine, as I emphasized in
my recent blog [0], the four opens are extremely important. Open Design is
one of the most important out the four I guess, because it actually will
lead to the diversity question. A team with a single vendor, although it
could satisfy all the other three easily, could not have a good open design
rather well.

Another criteria (more related to the mission statement specifically) I
would consider important is the ability to demonstrate (1)its scope does
not overlap with existing official projects and (2) its ability to actively
work with related projects. The cross project collaboration does not have
to be waited after the project got anointed, rather started when the
project is in conception.

Well I guess that is my two cents :)

[0] https://hannibalhuang.github.io/

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 5:26 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> [This is meant to be one of (I hope) several conversation-provoking
> questions directed at prospective TC members to help the community
> understand their positions before considering how to vote in the
> ongoing election.]
>
> We are discussing adding at least one new project this cycle, and
> the specific case of Adjutant has brought up questions about the
> criteria we use for evaluating new projects when they apply to
> become official.  Although the current system does include some
> well-defined requirements [1], it was also designed to rely on TC
> members to use their judgement in some other areas, to account for
> changing circumstances over the life of the project and to reflect
> the position that governance is not something we can automate away.
>
> Without letting the conversation devolve too much into a discussion
> of Adjutant's case, please talk a little about how you would evaluate
> a project's application in general.  What sorts of things do you
> consider when deciding whether a project "aligns with the OpenStack
> Mission," for example?
>
> Doug
>
> [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-
> requirements.html

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado