[openstack-dev] [placement][nova] Decision time on granular request groups for like resources

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Apr 19 12:27:34 UTC 2018

gibi-

> Can the proximity param specify relationship between the un-numbered and
> the numbered groups as well or only between numbered groups?
> Besides that I'm +1 about proxyimity={isolate|any}

Remembering that the resources in the un-numbered group can be spread
around the tree and sharing providers...

If applying "isolate" to the un-numbered group means that each resource
you specify therein must be satisfied by a different provider, then you
should have just put those resources into numbered groups.

If "isolate" means that *none* of the numbered groups will land on *any*
of the providers satisfying the un-numbered group... that could be hard
to reason about, and I don't know if it's useful.

So thus far I've been thinking about all of these semantics only in
terms of the numbered groups (although Jay's `can_split` was
specifically aimed at the un-numbered group).

That being the case (is that a bikeshed on the horizon?) perhaps
`granular_policy={isolate|any}` is a more appropriate name than `proximity`.

-efried