[openstack-dev] [placement][nova] Decision time on granular request groups for like resources

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Wed Apr 18 22:45:34 UTC 2018

> I have a feeling we're just going to go back and forth on this, as we
> have for weeks now, and not reach any conclusion that is satisfactory to
> everyone. And we'll delay, yet again, getting functionality into this
> release that serves 90% of use cases because we are obsessing over the
> 0.01% of use cases that may pop up later.

So I vote that, for the Rocky iteration of the granular spec, we add a
single `proximity={isolate|any}` qparam, required when any numbered
request groups are specified.  I believe this allows us to satisfy the
two NUMA use cases we care most about: "forced sharding" and "any fit".
And as you demonstrated, it leaves the way open for finer-grained and
more powerful semantics to be added in the future.

-efried