[openstack-dev] [nova] Concern about trusted certificates API change

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Apr 18 18:17:00 UTC 2018

> Maybe it wasn't clear but I'm not advocating that we block the change
> until volume-backed instances are supported with trusted certs. I'm
> suggesting we add a policy rule which allows deployers to at least
> disable it via policy if it's not supported for their cloud.

That's fine with me, and provides an out for another issue I pointed out
on the code review. Basically, the operator has no way to disable this
feature. If they haven't set this up properly and have no desire to, a
user reading the API spec and passing trusted certs will not be able to
boot an instance and not really understand why.

> I agree. I'm the one that noticed the issue and pointed out in the
> code review that we should explicitly fail the request if we can't
> honor it.

I agree for the moment for sure, but it would obviously be nice not to
open another gap we're not going to close. There's no reason this can't
be supported for volume-backed instances, it just requires some help
from cinder.

I would think that it'd be nice if we could declare the "can't do this
for reasons" response as a valid one regardless of the cause so we don't
need another microversion for the future where volume-backed instances
can do this.

> Again, I'm not advocating that we block until boot from volume is
> supported. However, we have a lot of technical debt for "good
> functionality" added over the years that failed to consider
> volume-backed instances, like rebuild, rescue, backup, etc and it's
> painful to deal with that after the fact, as can be seen from the
> various specs proposed for adding that support to those APIs.

Totes agree.

--Dan