[openstack-dev] [placement][nova] Decision time on granular request groups for like resources

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Apr 18 16:07:29 UTC 2018

On 04/18/2018 09:58 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 4/18/2018 9:06 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> "By default, should resources/traits submitted in different numbered request
>> groups be supplied by separate resource providers?"
>
> Without knowing all of the hairy use cases, I'm trying to channel my inner
> sdague and some of the similar types of discussions we've had to changes in the
> compute API, and a lot of the time we've agreed that we shouldn't assume a
> default in certain cases.
>
> So for this case, if I'm requesting numbered request groups, why doesn't the API
> just require that I pass a query parameter telling it how I'd like those
> requests to be handled, either via affinity or anti-affinity.

The request might get unwieldy if we have to specify affinity/anti-affinity for
each resource.  Maybe you could specify the default for the request and then
optionally override it for each resource?

I'm not current on the placement implementation details, but would this level of
flexibility cause complexity problems in the code?

Chris