[openstack-dev] [devstack][infra] pip vs psutil

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 07:46:54 UTC 2018

On 04/15/2018 09:32 PM, Gary Kotton wrote:
> The gate is currently broken with
>  https://launchpad.net/bugs/1763966. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561427/
>  Can unblock us in the short term. Any other ideas?

I'm thinking this is probably along the lines of the best idea.  I
left a fairly long comment on this in [1], but the root issue here is
that if a system package is created using distutils (rather than
setuptools) we end up with this problem with pip10.

That means the problem occurs when we a) try to overwrite a system
package and b) that package has been created using distutils.  This
means it is a small(er) subset of packages that cause this problem.
Ergo, our best option might be to see if we can avoid such packages on
a one-by-one basis, like here.

In some cases, we could just delete the .egg-info file, which is
approximately what was happening before anyway.

In this particular case, the psutils package is used by glance & the
peakmem tracker.  Under USE_PYTHON3, devstack's pip_install_gr only
installs the python3 library; however the peakmem tracker always uses
python2 -- leaing to missing library the failures in [2].  I have two
thoughts; either install for both python2 & 3 always [3] or make
peakmem tracker obey USE_PYTHON3 [4].  We can discuss the approach in
the reviews.

The other option is to move everything to virtualenv's, so we never
conflict with a system package, as suggested by clarkb [5] or
pabelanger [6].  These are more invasive changes, but also arguably
more correct.

Note diskimage-builder, and hence our image generation for some
platforms, is also broken.  Working on that in [7].

-i

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/4805#issuecomment-340987536
[2] https://review.openstack.org/561427
[3] https://review.openstack.org/561524