[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] RBD multi-attach

Eric Harney eharney at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 13:00:24 UTC 2018

On 04/12/2018 10:25 PM, 李俊波 wrote:
> Hello Nova, Cinder developers,
>

> I would like to ask you a question concerns a Cinder patch [1].
>

> In this patch, it mentioned that RBD features were incompatible with
> multi-attach, which disabled multi-attach for RBD. I would like to know
> which RBD features that are incompatible?
>

> In the Bug [2], yao ning also raised this question, and in his envrionment,
> it proved that they did not find ant problems when enable this feature.
>

> So, I also would like to know which features in ceph will make this feature
> unsafe?

> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1535815
>

> Best wishes and Regards
>
> junboli

Hi,

As noted in the comment in the code [1] -- the exclusive lock feature
must be disabled.  However, this feature is required for RBD mirroring
[2], which will be the basis of Cinder volume replication for RBD.

We are currently prioritizing completing support for replication over
multi-attach for this driver, since there is more demand for that
feature.  After that, we will look more at multi-attach and how to let
deployers choose to enable replication or multi-attach.

[1]
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/cinder/tree/cinder/volume/drivers/rbd.py?id=d1bae7462e3bc#n485

[2]
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-mirroring/#enable-image-journaling-support