[openstack-dev] [election][tc]TC candidacy

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 02:12:10 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm announcing my candidacy for the OpenStack Technical Committee.

I started following OpenStack community since Portland Summit in 2013, and
has been an integral part of it from then on. I'm currently serving as the
PTL for the Cyborg project [0] which provides general management framework
for accelerators. I'm also serving as the co-chair of the Public Cloud WG
[1], active member of the First Contact SIG [2] and had been a contributor
for the Interop WG throughout the year 2017 [3]. Outside of OpenStack, I'm
one of the founding co-leads for the Kubernetes Policy WG [4], the
ecosystem lead for OpenSDS community [5], and also served as the PTL of
OPNFV Parser project from 2014 to 2016 [6]. I've also been involved with
Open Service Broker API and SPDK community where my team members are
working on.

I would like to think my strength are in the areas like cross-community
collaboration, community team building, and non-stop innovation. I believe
these are also the areas that my future work on the Technical Committee
should continue to bring forth.

** Cross Community Collaboration **

For those of you who are familiar with my work, you would know that I've
always been taking a full stack approach for open source community work and
strongly believed the value of collaboration. From the very start building
of the *Cyborg project*, we collaborated with the OPNFV community and also
had a concrete plan on working with communities like Kubernetes, Linaro,
ONNX and so forth. With my work in *OpenSDS*, I've repeatedly emphasize the
importance of the capability of working with OpenStack and Kubernetes but
not drop something and claim it would be better to replace the existing
module which has been built by a lot of community work. During our
discussions in the *Kubernetes Policy WG* on multi-tenancy I've also
introduced what the Keystone team has greatly done and try to build a
synergy there.

Hence if I were to be elected on the technical committee, I would like to
pushing further on the community collaborations within but not limited to
the following areas:
*- Data model alignment regarding accelerator between OpenStack and
Kubernetes via Cyborg project and the Resource Management SIG.*
*- Alignment regarding Policy architecture between OpenStack and Kubernetes
via Kubernetes Policy WG as well as Keystone team.*

** Community Team Building **

With currently busting the hype bubble, I've seen many commentaries on how
OpenStack "is getting outdated" and not "technically cool" any more. Set
aside the absurdity on the technical aspects, I think one of the core
things people will learn in the OpenStack community is the governance, the
way how we work here.

Take *Cyborg* for example, from day one I've been strictly following the
four opens principle and trying to build a good team structure by learning
from great teams like Nova, Cinder, Neutron, etc. The Cyborg project was
started from basically zero and I intentionally avoided any code dumping as
we've seen in many open source projects. We designed the specs from open
discussion, wrote the codes with public reviews and continue on. When few
people believe even this could work, we make it happen. The reward we are
having is awesome, for example on nova-cyborg collaboration, by not
mandating certain design philosophy, we have great Nova developers joining
our project meeting from time to time, providing valuable comments on how
we better design the interaction, and help reviewing the specs. I think for
a new project I dare say we've got the best and logical architecture design
with regarding to nova interaction.

With that said, the community team building will be another important theme
for my future work on TC:
*- Leveraging First Contact SIG, to try to incubate or help more project
that knows how to build their team in a community way instead of a
corporate way.*
*- Continue on the Cyborg team structure building, enable reasonable
sub-team work and encourage more developers to join and contribute.*
*- Enabling more collaboration between projects and WG/SIGs. We have some
good experience on Cyborg working with Scientific SIG as well as Public
Cloud WG working with Nova/Keystone team, and I think we could make further
progress on it*

** Non Stop Innovation **

OpenStack offers the ultimate open source cloud computing infrastructure
and there are just so many exciting new things we could do with it. I've
experimenting the ideas of *how Cyborg could better support AI application,
and also the possibility of utilizing blockchain for the Passport Program
[7]*. I plan to keep bring new things like these forward when given the
opportunity to serve on the  technical committee to make OpenStack's edge
keep cutting as sharp as ever :)

Thank you for your time to read such a long letter and please vote for me
and any other candidate that you see value in. A great community could not
exist without your important voice.

[0]https://governance.openstack.org/election/results/rocky/ptl.html
[1]https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PublicCloudWorkingGroup
[2]https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/First_Contact_SIG
[3]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/interop+owner:%22Zhipeng+Huang+%253Chuangzhipeng%2540huawei.com%253E%22
[4]https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/master/wg-policy
[5]https://hannibalhuang.github.io/2017/12/27/opensds-official/
[6]https://hannibalhuang.github.io/2016/02/27/opnfv-parser/
[7]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RYRq1YdYEoZ5KNKwlDDtnunMdoYRAHPjPslnng3VqcI/edit?usp=sharing
--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado