[openstack-dev] [tripleo] roadmap on containers workflow

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 12:58:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 at 20:51 Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Steve Baker and I had a quick chat today about the work that is being done
> around containers workflow in Rocky cycle.
>
> If you're not familiar with the topic, I suggest to first read the
> blueprint to understand the context here:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/container-prepare-workflow
>
> One of the great outcomes of this blueprint is that in Rocky, the operator
> won't have to run all the "openstack overcloud container" commands to
> prepare the container registry and upload the containers. Indeed, it'll be
> driven by Heat and Mistral mostly.
>
> But today our discussion extended on 2 uses-cases that we're going to
> explore and find how we can address them:
> 1) I'm a developer and want to deploy a containerized undercloud with
> customized containers (more or less related to the all-in-one discussions
> on another thread [1]).
> 2) I'm submitting a patch in tripleo-common (let's say a workflow) and
> need my patch to be tested when the undercloud is containerized (see [2]
> for an excellent example).
>
> Both cases would require additional things:
> - The container registry needs to be deployed *before* actually installing
> the undercloud.
> - We need a tool to update containers from this registry and *before*
> deploying them. We already have this tool in place in our CI for the
> overcloud (see [3] and [4]). Now we need a similar thing for the undercloud.
>
> Next steps:
> - Agree that we need to deploy the container-registry before the
> undercloud.
> - If agreed, we'll create a new Ansible role called
> ansible-role-container-registry that for now will deploy exactly what we
> have in TripleO, without extra feature.
> - Drive the playbook runtime from tripleoclient to bootstrap the container
> registry (which of course could be disabled in undercloud.conf).
> - Create another Ansible role that would re-use container-check tool but
> the idea is to provide a role to modify containers when needed, and we
> could also control it from tripleoclient. The role would be using
> the ContainerImagePrepare parameter, which Steve is working on right now.

This all looks really good Emilien, thanks for sending it out.
Regarding the update of containers, we would just want to be 100% sure that
we can control which yum repositories are in play for the update.  Maybe it
will be done by the user prior to running the command, or maybe with some
flags to what ever command Steve is working on.
FYI.. we've noticed in CI that when the base os updates ( not baseos) are
included you tend to fail on at least on package download on one of the 50+
containers due to infra/network.  In CI we only enable baseos, dlrn updates
and the dependency change [1]

Thanks

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-quickstart-extras/blob/master/roles/overcloud-prep-containers/templates/overcloud-prep-containers.sh.j2#L104-L109