[openstack-dev] [nova] Changes toComputeVirtAPI.wait_for_instance_event

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:05:01 UTC 2018

On 4/9/2018 9:57 PM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> Could you please help to share whether this kind of event is sent by
> neutron-server or neutron agent ? I searched neutron code
> from [1][2] this means the agent itself need tell neutron server the
> device(VIF) is up then neutron server will send notification
> to nova through REST API and in turn consumed by compute node?
>
> [1]https://github.com/openstack/neutron/tree/master/neutron/notify_port_active_direct
> [2]https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/plugins/ml2/rpc.py#L264

I believe the neutron agent is the one that is getting (or polling) the
information from the underlying network backend when VIFs are plugged or
unplugged from a host, then route that information via RPC to the
neutron server which then sends an os-server-external-events request to
the compute REST API, which then routes the event information down to
the nova-compute host where the instance is currently running.

Matt