[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, April 6th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 6 08:35:45 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of currently-considered changes at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Removed repository: puppet-ganesha

== Voting in progress ==

We are still missing a couple of votes on the proposal to set the
expectation early on that official projects will have to drop direct
tagging (or branching) rights in their Gerrit ACLs once they are made
official, as those actions will be handled by the Release Management
team through the openstack/releases repository. This will likely be
approved early next week, so please post your concerns on the review if
you have any:

https://review.openstack.org/557737

== Under discussion ==

We got lots of replies and comments on the thread and the review
proposing the split of the kolla-kubernetes deliverable out of the Kolla
team. Discussion has now moved to reviewing the deliverables currently
regrouped under the Kolla team, and considering whether the current
grouping is a feature or a bug. If you have an opinion on that, please
chime in on the review or the ML thread:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552531/
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128822.html

The discussion is also still on-going the Adjutant project team
addition. The main concerns raised are: (1) presenting Adjutant as an
"API factory" around any business logic raises interoperability fears.
We don't really want an official "OpenStack service" with an open-ended
API or set of APIs; and (2) there is concern that some of the "core
plugins" could actually be implemented in existing projects, and that
Adjutant is working around the pain of landing those features in the
(set of) projects where they belong by creating a whole-new project to
land them faster. You can jump in the discussion here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553643/

The last open discussion is around a proposed tag to track which
deliverables implemented a lower dependency bounds check voting test
job. After discussion at the last TC office hour, it might be abandoned
in favor of making it a community goal for the Stein cycle and then a
general expectation for projects using global requirements. Please see:

https://review.openstack.org/557501

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

For the coming week we'll confirm which topics we want to propose for
the Forum in Vancouver, and file them on forumtopics.openstack.org
before the April 15 deadline. There is still time to propose some at:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-forum-TC-sessions

The election season will start on April 10 with nominations for
candidates for the 7 open seats.

I also expect debate to continue around the three proposals under
discussion.

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

Feel free to add your own office hour conversation starter at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)