[openstack-dev] [TripleO][ci][ceph] switching to config-download by default

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:38:33 UTC 2018

I've pushed up for review a set of patches to switch us over to using
config-download by default:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/config-download-default

I believe I've come up with the proper series of steps to switch
things over. Let me know if you have any feedback or foresee any
issues:

FIrst, we update remaining multinode jobs
(https://review.openstack.org/558965) and ovb jobs
(https://review.openstack.org/559067) that run against master to
opt-in to config-download. This will expose any issues with these jobs
and config-download and let us fix those issues.

We can then switch tripleoclient (https://review.openstack.org/558925)
over to use config-download by default. Since this also requires a
Heat environment, we must forcibly inject that environment via
tripleoclient.

Once the tripleoclient patch lands, we can update
tripleo-heat-templates to use the mappings from config-download in the
default resource registry (https://review.openstack.org/558927).

We can then remove the forcibly injected environment from
tripleoclient (https://review.openstack.org/558931)

Finally, we can go back and update the multinode/ovb jobs on master to
not be opt-in for config-download since it would now be the default
(no patch yet).

Now...for Ceph it will be slightly different:

We have a patch that migrates from workflow_tasks to
external_deploy_tasks (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/546966/) and
that depends on a quickstart patch to update the Ceph scenarios to use
config-download (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/548306/). These
patches are co-dependencies and present a problem in that they both
must land at the same time.

To workaround that, I think we need to update the
tripleo-heat-templates patch to include both the existing
workflow_tasks *and* the new external_deploy_tasks. Once we've proven
the external_deploy_tasks work, we remove the depends-on and land the
tripleo-heat-templates patch. It will pass the existing Ceph scenario
jobs b/c they will be using workflow_tasks.

We then land the quickstart patch to switch those scenario jobs to use
external_deploy_tasks. Then we can circle back and remove
workflow_tasks from the ceph templates in tripleo-heat-templates.

I think this will allow everything to land and keep CI green along the
way. Please let me know any feedback as we plan to try and push on
this work over the next couple of weeks.

--
-- James Slagle