[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] about re-image the volume

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 13:21:28 UTC 2018

On 4/5/2018 3:15 AM, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> But just to be clear, Nova will have to initialize the connection with
> the re-imagined volume and attach it again to the node, as in all cases
> (except when defaulting to downloading the image and dd-ing it to the
> volume) the result will be a new volume in the backend.

Yeah I think I pointed this out earlier in this thread on what I thought
the steps would be on the nova side with respect to creating a new empty
attachment to keep the volume 'reserved' while we delete the old
attachment, re-image the volume, and then update the volume attachment
for the new connection. I think that would be similar to how shelve and
unshelve works in nova.

Would this really require a swap volume call from Cinder? I'd hope not
since swap volume in itself is a pretty gross operation on the nova side.

Matt