[openstack-dev] RFC: Next minimum libvirt / QEMU versions for "Stein" release

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 08:45:07 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 04:09:29PM +0200, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> [Meta comment: corrected the email subject: "Solar" --> "Stein"]

Here's a change to get the discussion rolling:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/558171/ -- [RFC] Pick next minimum
    libvirt / QEMU versions for "Stein"

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 04:26:43PM +0200, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

[...]

> > Taking the DistroSupportMatrix into picture, for the sake of discussion,
> > how about the following NEXT_MIN versions for "Solar" release:
> >
> > (a) libvirt: 3.2.0 (released on 23-Feb-2017)
> >
> >     This satisfies most distributions, but will affect Debian "Stretch",
> >     as they only have 3.0.0 in the stable branch -- I've checked their
> >     repositories[3][4].  Although the latest update for the stable
> >     release "Stretch (9.4)" was released only on 10-March-2018, I don't
> >     think they increment libvirt and QEMU versions in stable.  Is
> >     there another way for "Stretch (9.4)" users to get the relevant
> >     versions from elsewhere?

I learn that there's Debian 'stretch-backports'[0], which might provide (but
doesn't yet) a newer stable version.

> > (b) QEMU: 2.9.0 (released on 20-Apr-2017)
> >
> >     This too satisfies most distributions but will affect Oracle Linux
> >     -- which seem to ship QEMU 1.5.3 (released in August 2013) with
> >     their "7", from the Wiki.  And will also affect Debian "Stretch" --
> >     as it only has 2.8.0
> >
> > Can folks chime in here?

Answering my own questions about Debian --

>From looking at the Debian Archive[1][2], these are the versions for
'Stretch' (the current stable release) and in the upcoming 'Buster'
release:

    libvirt | 3.0.0-4+deb9u2         | stretch
    libvirt | 4.1.0-2                | buster

    qemu    | 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3    | stretch
    qemu    | 1:2.11+dfsg-1          | buster

I also talked on #debian-backports IRC channel on OFTC network, where I
asked:

    "What I'm essentially looking for is: "How can 'stretch' users get
    libvirt 3.2.0 and QEMU 2.9.0, even if via a different repository.
    As they are proposed to be least common denominator versions across
    distributions."

And two people said: Then the versions from 'Buster' could be backported
to 'stretch-backports'.  The process for that is to: "ask the maintainer
of those package and Cc to the backports mailing list."

Any takers?

[0] https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/
[1] https://qa.debian.org/madison.php?package=libvirt
[2] https://qa.debian.org/madison.php?package=qemu