[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] innodb OPTIMIZE TABLE ?

Michael Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 15:51:30 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/03/2018 11:07 AM, Michael Bayer wrote:
>>

> Yes.
>
>> b. oslo.db script to run generically, yes or no?
>

> No. Just have Triple-O install galera_innoptimizer and run it in a cron job.

OK, here are the issues I have with galera_innoptimizer:

1. only runs on Galera.    This should work on a non-galera db as well

2. hardcoded to MySQLdb / mysqlclient.   We don't install that driver anymore.

3. is just running OPTIMIZE on every table across the board, and at
best you can give it a list of tables.  I was hoping to not add more
hardcoded cross-dependencies to tripleo, as this means individual
projects would need to affect how the script is run which means we
have to again start shipping individual per-app crons that require
eternal babysitting.

What failures do you foresee if I tried to make it compare the logical
data size to the physical file size?  since I'm going here for file
size optimization only.   or just too complicated / brittle ?