[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:23:53 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Greeting folks,
>>
>> During the last PTG we spent time discussing some ideas around an All-In-One
>> installer, using 100% of the TripleO bits to deploy a single node OpenStack
>> very similar with what we have today with the containerized undercloud and
>> what we also have with other tools like Packstack or Devstack.
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-rocky-all-in-one
>>
>> One of the problems that we're trying to solve here is to give a simple tool
>> for developers so they can both easily and quickly deploy an OpenStack for
>> their needs.
>>
>> "As a developer, I need to deploy OpenStack in a VM on my laptop, quickly
>> and without complexity, reproducing the same exact same tooling as TripleO
>> is using."
>> "As a Neutron developer, I need to develop a feature in Neutron and test it
>> with TripleO in my local env."
>> "As a TripleO dev, I need to implement a new service and test its deployment
>> in my local env."
>> "As a developer, I need to reproduce a bug in TripleO CI that blocks the
>> production chain, quickly and simply."
>>
>> Probably more use cases, but to me that's what came into my mind now.
>>
>> Dan kicked-off a doc patch a month ago:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547038/
>> And I just went ahead and proposed a blueprint:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/all-in-one
>> So hopefully we can start prototyping something during Rocky.
>
> I've actually started hacking a bit here:
>
> https://github.com/dprince/talon
>
> Very early and I haven't committed everything yet. (Probably wouldn't
> have announced it to the list yet but it might help some understand
> the use case).
>
> I'm running this on my laptop to develop TripleO containers with no
> extra VM involved.
>
> P.S. We should call it Talon!
>
> Dan
>

>> Before talking about the actual implementation, I would like to gather
>> feedback from people interested by the use-cases. If you recognize yourself
>> in these use-cases and you're not using TripleO today to test your things
>> because it's too complex to deploy, we want to hear from you.
>> I want to see feedback (positive or negative) about this idea. We need to
>> gather ideas, use cases, needs, before we go design a prototype in Rocky.
>
> Sorry dude. Already prototyping :)

A related use case to all this work that takes it a step further:

I think it would be useful if we could eventually further break down
"openstack undercloud deploy" into just the pieces needed to:

- start an ephemeral Heat container
- create the Heat stack passing all requested -e's
- run config-download and save the output

Essentially removing the undercloud specific logic (or all-in-one
specific logic in this case) from "openstack undercloud deploy" and
resulting in a generic way to create the config-download playbooks for
any given TripleO stack (openstack tripleo depoy?). This would be
possible when using deployed-server, noop'ing Neutron networks, and
using fixed IP's as those are the only OpenStack resources actually
created by Heat when using a full undercloud.

This would allow one to consume the ansible playbooks for a multinode
overcloud using an ephemeral Heat.

The same generic tooling could then be used to deploy an actual
undercloud, any all-in-one configuration, or any overcloud
configuration.

--
-- James Slagle