[openstack-dev] [infra][qa][requirements] Pip 10 is on the way

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Apr 2 16:13:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, at 8:06 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 18-03-31 15:00:27, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > According to a notice[1] posted to the pypa-announce and
> > distutils-sig mailing lists, pip 10.0.0.b1 is on PyPI now and 10.0.0
> > is expected to be released in two weeks (over the April 14/15
> > weekend). We know it's at least going to start breaking[2] DevStack
> > and we need to come up with a plan for addressing that, but we don't
> > know how much more widespread the problem might end up being so
> > encourage everyone to try it out now where they can.
> >

> I'd like to suggest locking down pip/setuptools/wheel like openstack
> ansible is doing in
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/global-requirement-pins.txt
>
> We could maintain it as a separate constraints file (or infra could
> maintian it, doesn't mater).  The file would only be used for the
> initial get-pip install.

In the past we've done our best to avoid pinning these tools because 1) we've told people they should use latest for openstack to work and 2) it is really difficult to actually control what versions of these tools end up on your systems if not latest.

I would strongly push towards addressing the distutils package deletion problem that we've run into with pip10 instead. One of the approaches thrown out that pabelanger is working on is to use a common virtualenv for devstack and avoid the system package conflict entirely.

Clark