[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc][openstack-helm][tripleo]propose retire kolla-kubernetes project

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 02:36:40 UTC 2018

Thanks to all guys.

The mail is a little off-topic. First of all, let us back to the topic of
this
mail.

**kolla-kubernetes**

The root issue for kolla-kubernetes is no active contributors. if more
person
is interested in this project, I would like to give more time to this
project.
But leave it in kolla governance may not good for its growth. Because it is
**totally different** technical stack with kolla-ansible. so migrate it to
TC
governance should the best solution.

**for kolla and kolla-ansible split**

kolla(container) is widely used by multi-project (TripleO, OSH). And I also
heard some internal projects are using it too. kolla and kolla-ansible are
well
decoupled. The usage or the API kolla provides always stable and backward
compatible. kolla images are also used in many produce environment through
different deployment tools So kolla(container) is worth say "provide
production-ready containers".  This should not be negative, just because of
kolla and kolla-ansible are under the same team governance.

the team split would let people fouse on one thing and make it looks better.
but we have two different teams, kolla-core team, and the
kolla-ansible-core team
already. anyone is welcome to join one of the team.  But in fact, the
members
of these two teams are almost the same.  if we split the team now, all we
gain
is making chaos and hard to manage.

I think it may be proper time when the members of kolla-core team and
the kolla-ansible-core team is different (50% maybe?).
​

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2018-03-31 22:07:03 +0000 (+0000), Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> [...]
> > The problems raised in this thread (tension - tight coupling -
> > second class citizens - stratification) was predicted early on -
> > prior to Kolla 1.0.  That prediction led to the creation of a
> > technical solution - the Kolla API.   This API permits anyone to
> > reuse the containers as they see fit if they conform their
> > implementation to the API.  The API is not specifically tied to
> > the Ansible deployment technology.  Instead the API is tied to the
> > varying requirements that various deployment teams have had in the
> > past around generalized requirements for making container
> > lifecycle management a reality while running OpenStack services
> > and their dependencies inside containers.
> [...]
>
> Thanks! That's where my fuzzy thought process was leading. Existence
> of a stable API guarantee rather than treating the API as "whatever
> kolla-ansible does" significantly increases the chances of other
> projects being able to rely on kolla's images in the long term.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Regards,
Jeffrey Zhang