[openstack-dev] patches for simple typo fixes

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:34:28 UTC 2017

Sean Dague wrote:
> I think the concern is the ascribed motive for why people are putting
> these up. That's fine to feel that people are stat padding (and that too
> many things are driven off metrics). But, honestly, that's only
> important if we make it important. Contributor stats are always going to
> be pretty much junk stats. They are counting things to be the same which
> are wildly variable in meaning (number of patches, number of Lines of
> Code).

If this is a real thing (which I don't know if it is, but I could
believe that it is) due to management or other connecting those stats to
involvement (and likely at some point $$) why don't we just turn off
http://stackalytics.com/ or make it require a launchpad login (make it a
little harder to access) or put a big warning banner on it that says
these stats are not-representative of much of anything...

The hard part is it's not us as a community deciding 'important if we
make it important' because such motives are not directly associated to
contributors but instead may or may not be connected to management of
said contributor (and management of the contributors that are paid to
work on openstack has always been in the background somewhere, like a
ghost...).

-Josh