[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Sep 25 11:56:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017, Paul Belanger wrote:

> This is not a good example of encouraging anybody to contribute to the project.

Yes. This entire thread was a bit disturbing to read. Yes, I totally
agree that mass patches that do very little are a big cost to
reviewer and CI time but a lot of the responses sound like: "go away
you people who don't understand our special culture and our
important work".

That's not a good look.

Matt's original comment is good in and of itself: I saw a thing,
let's remember to curtail this stuff and do it in a nice way.

But then we generate a long thread about it. It's odd to me that
these threads sometimes draw more people out then discussions about
actually improving the projects.

It's also odd that if OpenStack were small and differently
structured, any self-respecting maintainer would be happy to see
a few typo fixes and generic cleanups. Anything to push the quality
forward is nice. But because of the way we do review and because of
the way we do CI these things are seen as expensive distractions[1].
We're old and entrenched enough now that our tooling enforces our
culture and our culture enforces our tooling.

[1] Note that I'm not denying they are expensive distractions nor
that they need to be managed as such. They are, but a lot of that
is on us.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/