[openstack-dev] [tc][nova][mogan] How to show respect to the original authors?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri Sep 22 13:26:33 UTC 2017

> > Luckily, since these things are part of the ABI of Nova, they are
> > versioned in many cases, and in all have a well defined interfaces on
> > one side. Seems like it should be relatively straight forward to wrap
> > the other side of them and call it a library.

> Sounds great if we can call these ABI as a library, but seems still need
> some refactoring on Nova side to make other projects be able to leverage it.

I wouldn't drop the idea because of that. In the case of the os-brick
library, there was common code for interacting with local storage
management in both Cinder and Nova. We recognized this and started the
os-brick library to move that code into one place.

Cinder started using it right away, but it was at least a couple cycles
before Nova started looking at it. I think that's perfectly fine. If
you are able to start a library for your own use, and it has good and
useful common functionality, then Nova can make the decision later if
they want to take advantage of it.

Sean