[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 02:21:41 UTC 2017

I just wanted to highlight to people that there seems to be a series of
garbage patches in various projects [1] which are basically doing things
like fixing a single typo in a code comment, or very narrowly changing
http to https in links within docs.

Also +1ing ones own changes.

I've been trying to snuff these out in nova, but I see it's basically a
pattern widespread across several projects.

This is the boilerplate comment I give with my -1, feel free to employ
it yourself.

"Sorry but this isn't really a useful change. Fixing typos in code
comments when the context is still clear doesn't really help us, and
mostly seems like looking for padding stats on stackalytics. It's also a
drain on our CI environment.

If you fixed all of the typos in a single module, or in user-facing
documentation, or error messages, or something in the logs, or something
that actually doesn't make sense in code comments, then maybe, but this
isn't one of those things."

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but this is annoying to the point I
felt the need to say something publicly.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/author:%255E.*inspur.*

Matt