[openstack-dev] [requirements][stable] publish upper-constraints.txt periodic vs post

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Thu Sep 21 15:43:50 UTC 2017

On 17-09-20 14:09:15, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 01:43:51PM -0400, Tony Breeds wrote:
>
> > The solution I thought we decide on at the PTG is:
> >  * Add a post job to all branches that publish a constraints/$series.txt
> >    to $server (I don't mind if it's releases.o.o or tarballs.o.o).
>
> Actually we might be better to do this daily from the periodic pipeline.
> In our CI we always gate with what is in git so that wouldn't be
> impacted.  The question is do we need external consumers to be "up to
> the minute" or is a days lag acceptable?
>
> I kinda feel like it's okay to be a little laggy.
>
> Yours Tony.

I don't think this should be periodic, I'll try to argue the point via a
pros/cons listing.  I think we should be trying to have users use
upper-constraints via what is currently known as stable, to me that
means more often than once a day.

I'm probably a bit biased, so feel free to update :D

pros - periodic
* simple update schedule (once a day)
* easier on infra (publish just once vs up to 20-30 times a day)

cons - periodic
* point in time (once a day) does not guarantee that that point works
  while we try to ensure all projects are not impacted by changes, we
  are not perfect
* we would be making it harder for people to use upper-constraints externally
  for one thing (via longer turn around time)
* some projects may be using upper-constraints.txt from the url only

pros - post
* upper-constraints are available via published location immediately
* sets good precident for end users/devs to use it

cons - post
* both breaks and fixes quick
* more load on infra to publish (20-30 times a day)

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)