[openstack-dev] [Blazar] PTG recap

Masahito MUROI muroi.masahito at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Sep 21 02:30:12 UTC 2017

Hi all,

This is a summary of Queens PTG discussion for Blazar. We had lots of
items in the meeting. So I write down main topics in the mail. If you're
interested in all items, please see the queens PTG etherpad page[1].

Priorities for Queens cycle
---------------------------

We discussed our team priorities for Queens cycle. The main themes for
the release are resiliency and manageability.  For resiliency, Blazar
will support a recovering feature from reserved resource failure and
atomic API transactions. For manageability, Blazar will follow some
community wide goals and will be refactored about its plugins.

If you'd like to see more details, please go to the etherpad page[2].

API for querying resource usage/availability

This is an usability improvement feature. It enables users to query how
many/how much/how long they can reserve a specific resource/time.
Blazar supports APIs which provide reservations CRUD operation for users
now. So users don't have a way to check how many resources are available
at a specific time window. By the API, users can query how many
resources are available at a specific time.

Resource Monitoring
-------------------

This is a kind of resource failure recovery mechanism in Blazar. Blazar
doesn't react reserved resource failures now. For instance, if a
hypervisor which is reserved by an user for future usage goes down,
Blazar doesn't re-assign a new hypervisor for the user's reservation.
By the resource monitoring feature, Blazar will manage reservations well
against unexpected failures.

Preemptible instance
--------------------

This topic is one of discussions in Nova team[3] and Blazar team was
involved in the discussion.  Blazar is one of possibilities for "reaper"
service in the topic since Blazar has a time base reaping feature in
instance reservation feature of Blazar.  So Blazar team has interest to
support the feature.

1. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/blazar-ptg-queens
2. https://launchpad.net/blazar/+milestone/0.4.0
3.