[openstack-dev] [requirements][stable] EOL tags and upper-constraints.txt in tox.ini

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Sep 20 21:18:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 04:51:21PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2017-09-20 18:59:50 +0000:
> > On 2017-09-20 14:46:32 -0400 (-0400), Tony Breeds wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I'd like to find a solution that doesn't need a tox_install.sh
> > [...]
> >
> > This wart came up when discussing Zuul v3 job translations... what
> > would be ideal is if someone has the bandwidth to work upstream in
> > tox to add a constraints file option agreeable to its maintainer so
> > that we don't have to override install-command to add it in all our
> > configs.
>
> One of the reasons we need a script is to modify the constraint list to
> remove the current library from the list if it is present. I'm not sure
> that special logic would be something the tox maintainers would want.

My proposal is that if 'constraints' is enabled then it's only used for
the deps install.  Since that should get everything that $project needs
if it's omitted during that phase it wont hurt us *and* removes the
needs for that aspect of the tox_install.sh

In my head it looks like:
---
[testenv]
usedevelop = True
# constraints = {env:UPPER_CONSTRAINTS_FILE:https://tarballs.openstack.org/constraints/master.txt}
constraints = {env:UPPER_CONSTRAINTS_FILE:https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/plain/upper-constraints.txt}
install_command = pip install {constraints} {opts} {packages}
deps = -r{toxinidir}/requirements.txt
       -r{toxinidir}/test-requirements.txt
---

It wont remove tox_install.sh but it will reduce the number of projects
that needs it.  For example oslso.* and os-* shouldn't need a
tox_install.sh it we can make the above happen.

Yours Tony.