[openstack-dev] [skip-level-upgrades][fast-forward-upgrades] PTG summary

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Sep 20 17:00:19 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Lee Yarwood's message of 2017-09-20 14:29:12 +0100:
> [...]
> fast-forward upgrades are and the best practices associated with them
> should be clearly documented somewhere. Various operators in the room
> highlighted that they would like to see a high level document outline
> the steps required to achieve this, hopefully written by someone with
> past experience of running this type of upgrade.
>
> I failed to capture the names of the individuals who were interested in
> helping out here. If anyone is interested in helping out here please
> feel free to add your name to the actions either at the end of this mail
> or at the bottom of the pad.
>
> In the afternoon we reviewed the current efforts within the community to
> implement fast-forward upgrades, covering TripleO, Charms (Juju) and
> openstack-ansible. While this was insightful to many in the room there
> didn't appear to be any obvious areas of collaboration outside of
> sharing best practice and defining the high level flow of a fast-forward
> upgrade.
>
> Tuesday - NFV, SIG and actions
> ------------------------------
>
> Tuesday started with a discussion around NFV considerations with
> fast-forward upgrades. These ranged from the previously mentioned need
> for the data plane to remain active during the upgrade to the restricted
> nature of upgrades in NFV environments in terms of time and number of
> reboots.
>
> It was highlighted that there are some serious as yet unresolved bugs in
> Nova regarding the live migration of instances using SR-IOV devices.
> This currently makes the moving of workloads either prior to or during
> the upgrade particularly difficult.
>
> Rollbacks were also discussed and the need for any best practice
> documentation around fast-forward upgrades to include steps to allow the
> recovery of environments if things fail was also highlighted.
>
> We then revisited an idea from the first day of finding or creating a
> SIG for this effort to call home. It was highlighted that there was a
> suggestion in the packaging room to create a Deployment / Lifecycle SIG.
> After speaking with a few individuals later in the week I've taken the
> action to reach out on the openstack-sigs mailing list for further
> input.
>
> Finally, during a brief discussion on ways we could collaborate and share
> tooling for fast-forward upgrades a new tool to migrate configuration
> files between N to N+>=2 releases was introduced [5]. While interesting
> it was seen as a more generic utility that could also be used between N
> to N+1 upgrades.  AFAIK the authors joined the Oslo room shortly after
> this session ended to gain more feedback from that team.
>
> Actions
> -------
>
> - Modify the `supports-upgrades`[3] and `supports-accessible-upgrades`[4] tags
>
>   I have yet to look into the formal process around making changes to
>   these tags but I will aim to make a start ASAP.

We've previously tried to avoid changing assert tag definitions because
we then have to re-review all of the projects that already have the tags
to ensure they meet the new criteria. It might be easier to add a new
tag for assert:supports-fast-forward-upgrades with the criteria that are
unique to this use case.

Doug