[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Sep 20 13:46:26 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-20 15:17:28 +0200 (+0200), Attila Fazekas wrote:
[...]
> The image building was the good old working solution and unless
> the image build become a super expensive thing, this is still the
> best option.
[...]

It became a super expensive thing, and that's the main reason we
stopped doing it. Now that Nodepool has grown support for
distributed/parallel image building and uploading, the cost model
may have changed a bit in that regard so I agree it doesn't hurt to
revisit that decision. Nevertheless it will take a fair amount of
convincing that the savings balances out the costs (not just in
resource consumption but also administrative overhead and community
impact... if DevStack gets custom images prepped to make its jobs
run faster, won't Triple-O, Kolla, et cetera want the same and where
do we draw that line?).
--
Jeremy Stanley