[openstack-dev] [nova][api] why need PUT /servers/{server_id}/metadata/{key} ?

Chen CH Ji jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Sep 20 05:48:26 UTC 2017

in analyzing other code, found seems we don't need PUT
/servers/{server_id}/metadata/{key} ?

as the id is only used for check whether it's in the body and we will honor
the whole body (body['meta'] in the code)
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/compute/server_metadata.py#L80

looks like it's identical to
PUT /servers/{server_id}/metadata

why we need this API or it should be something like

PUT /servers/{server_id}/metadata/{key} but we only accept a value to
modify the meta given by {key} in the API side?

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Phone: +86-10-82451493
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District,
Beijing 100193, PRC