[openstack-dev] [nova] [notification] not transforming HostAPI related versioned notifications

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 00:37:48 UTC 2017

On 9/19/2017 10:35 AM, Balazs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Similar to my earlier mail about not transforming legacy notifications
> in the networking area [1] now I want to propose not to transform
> HostAPI related notifications.
> We have the following legacy notifications on our TODO list [2] to be
> transformed:
> * HostAPI.power_action.end
> * HostAPI.power_action.start
> * HostAPI.set_enabled.end
> * HostAPI.set_enabled.start
> * HostAPI.set_maintenance.end
> * HostAPI.set_maintenance.start
>
> However os-hosts API has been depraceted since microversion 2.43. The
> suggested replacement is os-services API. The os-services API already
> emits service.update notification for every action on that API. So I
> suggest not to transform the above HostAPI notifications to the
> versioned notification format.
>
> Cheers,
> gibi
>

> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/121968.html
>
> [2] https://vntburndown-gibi.rhcloud.com/index.html

This also seems reasonable to me. I had to dig up what set_enabled was
for again, but now I remember, it's basically the same thing as
enable/disable a service in the os-services API, but only implemented
for the xenapi driver.

So yeah, +1 to not converting these to versioned notifications.

As a side question: how do you keep track of the things we purposefully
*aren't* going to implement for versioned notifications?

Matt