[openstack-dev] [ptg] Simplification in OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 15:50:26 UTC 2017

OK, I'll bite.

On 09/13/2017 08:56 PM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> Jay,
>
> All that you say exactly explains the reason why more and more companies
> are leaving OpenStack.

All that I say? The majority of what I was "saying" was actually asking
you to back up your statements with actual proof points instead of
making wild conjectures.

> Companies and actually end users care only about their things and how
> can they get their job done. They want thing that they can run and
> support easily and that resolves their problems.

No disagreement from me. That said, I fail to see what the above
statement has to do with anything I wrote.

> They initially think that it's a good idea to take a OpenStack as a
> Framework and build sort of product on top of it because it's so open
> and large and everybody uses...

End users of OpenStack don't "build sort of product on top". End users
of OpenStack call APIs or use Horizon to launch VMs, create networks,
volumes, and whatever else those end users need for their own use cases.

> Soon they understand that OpenStack has very complicated operations
> because it's not designed to be a product but rather framework and that
> the complexity of running OpenStack is similar to development in house
> solution and as time is spend they have only few options: move to public
> cloud or some other private cloud solution...

Deployers of OpenStack use the method of installing and configuring
OpenStack that matches best their cultural fit, experience and level of
comfort with underlying technologies and vendors (packages vs. source
vs. images, using a vendor distribution vs. going it alone, Chef vs.
Puppet vs. Ansible vs. SaltStack vs. Terraform, etc). The way they
configure OpenStack services is entirely dependent on the use cases they
wish to support for their end users. And, to repeat myself, there is NO
SINGLE USE CASE for infrastructure services like OpenStack. Therefore
there is zero chance for a "standard deployment" of OpenStack becoming a
reality.

Just like there are myriad ways of deploying and configuring OpenStack,
there are myriad ways of deploying and configuring k8s. Why? Because
deploying and configuring highly distributed systems is a hard problem
to solve. And maintaining and operating those systems is an even harder
problem to solve.

> We as a community can continue saying that the current OpenStack
> approach is the best

Nobody is saying that the current OpenStack approach is the best. I
certainly have never said this. All that I have asked is that you
actually back up your statements with proof points that demonstrate how
and why a different approach to building software will lead to specific
improvements in quality or user experience.

> and keep loosing customers/users/community, or change something
> drastically, like bring technical leadership to OpenStack Foundation
> that is going to act like benevolent dictator that focuses OpenStack
> effort on shrinking uses cases, redesigning architecture and moving
> to the right direction...

What *specifically* is the "right direction" for OpenStack to take?
Please, as I asked you in the original response, provide actual details
other than "we should have a monolithic application". Provide an
argument as to how and why *your* direction is "right" for every user of
OpenStack.

When you say "technical leadership", what specifically are you wanting
to see?

> I know this all sounds like a big change, but let's be honest current
> situation doesn't look healthy...
> By the way, almost all successful projects in open source have
> benevolent dictator and everybody is OK with that's how things works...

Who is the benevolent dictator of k8s? Who is the benevolent dictator of
MySQL? Of PostgreSQL? Of etcd?

You have a particularly myopic view of what "successful" is for open
source, IMHO.

>     Awesome news. I will keep this in mind when users (like GoDaddy) ask
>     Nova to never break anything ever and keep behaviour like scheduler
>     retries that represent giant technical debt.
>
> I am writing here on my behalf (using my personal email, if you haven't
> seen), are we actually Open Source? or Enterprise Source?
>
> More over I don't think that what you say is going to be an issue for
> GoDaddy, at least soon, because we still can't upgrade, because it's NP
> complete problem (even if you run just core projects), which is what my
> email was about, and I saw the same stories in bunch of other companies.....

You continue to speak in hyperbole and generalizations. What
*specifically* about your recommendations will improve the upgrade
ability and story for OpenStack?

>     Yes, let's definitely go the opposite direction of microservices and
>     loosely coupled domains which is the best practices of software
>     development over the last two decades. While we're at it, let's
>     rewrite OpenStack projects in COBOL.
>
> I really don't want to answer on this provocation, because it shifts the
> focus from major topic. But I really can't stop myself ;)
>
> - There is no sliver bullet in programming. For example, would Git or
> Linux be better if it was written using microservices approach?

I am fully aware that there is no silver bullet in programming. That was
actually my entire point. It is you that continues to espouse various
opinions that imply that there *is* some sort of silver bullet solution
to OpenStack's problems.

You imply that monolithic architecture will magically solve problems
inherent in highly distributed systems.

You imply that having a benevolent dictator will magically result in a
productized infrastructure platform that meets everyone's needs.

And you imply that using a single deployment/packaging solution (Docker)
will magically solve all issues with upgrades.

Please answer the questions in my original response with some specific
details.

Thanks
-jay