[openstack-dev] [all] connecting nova notification users and developers

Juan Antonio Osorio jaosorior at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 08:16:08 UTC 2017

Novajoin[1] uses notifications to detect when an instance is provisioned
and register it to FreeIPA (in short).

I added it to the etherpad accordingly.

We're not yet using versioned notifications.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/projects/openstack/novajoin

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Balazs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nova emits notifications for many different event, like different instance
> actions[1]. Also the nova developer community is working on making nova
> notifications well defined and easy to consume [2].
>
> The goal of this mail is twofold.
>
> 1) We in the nova developer community would like to see which projects are
> using (or planning to use) the nova notification interface. Also we would
> like to know if you are using the legacy unversioned notifications or the
> new versioned ones. We would like to know what are your use cases towards
> our notification interface and we also would like to get any type of
> feedback about the interface (both the old and the new one). Based on this
> information we can make better decision where to focus our development
> effort. As a good example we already have a  cooperation with the
> searchlight project to enhance nova's versioned notification interface
> based on their needs [3].
>
> I opened an etherpad [4] to collect the projects and the feedback and we
> can go through that feedback in the PTG to define some actions.
>
> 2) Creating a well defined and easy to use notification interface gives us
> plenty of work in nova. So we are also looking for developers who can help
> us in this work. Big chunk of [2] is considered as low hanging fruit and
> I'm happy to mentor anybody who is interested learning this part of nova.
> If you want to join to this work just ping me (gibi) or IRC.
>
> Cheers,
> gibi
>
> [1]https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/notifications.html
> [2]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/versioned-