[openstack-dev] [all] connecting nova notification users and developers

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Sep 1 13:28:47 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-30 10:30 AM, Balazs Gibizer wrote:
> 1) We in the nova developer community would like to see which projects
> are using (or planning to use) the nova notification interface. Also we
> would like to know if you are using the legacy unversioned notifications
> or the new versioned ones. We would like to know what are your use cases
> towards our notification interface and we also would like to get any
> type of feedback about the interface (both the old and the new one).
> Based on this information we can make better decision where to focus our
> development effort. As a good example we already have a  cooperation
> with the searchlight project to enhance nova's versioned notification
> interface based on their needs [3].

ceilometer uses it to create events and meters. events just capture the
message as is and might strip out some superfluous details. meters are
numerical values (associated with time). in both cases, we have yaml
files where we just define 'if message event_type equals blah, strip out
values x, y, and z'[1][2]

we don't use versioned notifications but if we had resources we might[3]

> I opened an etherpad [4] to collect the projects and the feedback and we
> can go through that feedback in the PTG to define some actions.

most of us wont' be at PTG. if you find Hanxi Liu, then you might have
someone with some knowledge of telemetry projects. we can be reached on
irc or ML regardless.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/pipeline/data/event_definitions.yaml
[2]