[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, October 27th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 27 09:15:25 UTC 2017

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics (updated twice a week) at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

If you are working on something (or plan to work on something) that is
not on the tracker, feel free to add to it !

== Welcome new membership ! ==

The election concluded and we now have the 13 members of the Technical
Committee for the coming 6 months. You can find the list here:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/

== Recently-approved changes ==

* PTI updates: documentation jobs [1] and releasenotes [2]
* Nova and Cinder assert supports-accessible-upgrade tag [3]
* Goal updates: magnum, dragonflow, horizon, ironic-inspector, congress,
tricircle
* New repos: ansible-role-k8s-cookiecutter

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/508694/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509868/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509170/

Calm week as we on-boarded new members and focused on administrative
details. Next week is also expected to be calm as most TC members are
departing for Sydney.

== Voting in progress ==

The TC chair designation process is under way. So far only myself has
proposed to fill the chair duties, and that proposal reached majority on
Oct 24. It will be approved on Oct 31 unless the situation changes:

https://review.openstack.org/514553

Colleen spotted that our house rules were still mentioning meetings, and
proposed a catchup. We are still short of a few votes to merge it:

https://review.openstack.org/514582

== Under review ==

Late to the Queens project team additions party, but probably worth
adding, the LOCI team (packaging OCI container images for OpenStack
deliverables) is being proposed here:

https://review.openstack.org/513851

Kendall Nelson kicked off the Rocky goal proposal season with a proposal
around Storyboard Migration. Please review it at:

https://review.openstack.org/513875

Our latest top-5 "help wanted" list proposed addition, "champions
and stewards" will soon be refreshed with a new patchset. Please review
it at:

https://review.openstack.org/510656

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

TC members should prepare for Sydney activities (see below).

Monty should answer the feedback on the supported database version
resolution (https://review.openstack.org/493932) so that we can make
progress there -- or abandon it.

Doug will update the "champions and stewards" top-5 help wanted addition
(https://review.openstack.org/510656), as soon as we manage to get the
release jobs situation under control.

== Sydney Summit ==

A number of meetings and sessions are directly involving the Technical
Committee during the OpenStack Summit in Sydney.

First, there will be a "leadership meeting" with the Board, UC and
Foundation staff on Sunday, Nov 5, starting at 1pm after lunch (ICC
Level 3 in Room E3.1/E3.2). This will be followed up by a dinner (please
RSVP using the link posted to openstack-tc).

Then a number of Forum sessions are directly of interest to TC members:

We'll hold an in-person TC "office hour" at the end of the event
(Wednesday, 5:20pm-6:00pm). It will be the occasion for a retrospective
of what was recently achieved and kicking off the next 6 months. Please
join if you can:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20576/technical-committee-in-person-office-hour

The TC vision mentions "constellations" but we are still a bit fuzzy
about what they are. Join Dean to brainstorm about them:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20477/constellation-brainstorming

Mogan's complementarity with Nova/ironic (or lack thereof) will be
discussed on Wednesday (11:00am-11:40am), which may inform your decision
on that project addition:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20501/bare-metal-as-a-service-ironic-vs-mogan-vs-nova

The question of a specific stable policy (and accompanying tag) for
deployment projects will be covered in this session:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20456/what-do-operators-want-from-the-stable-policy

A number of other sessions are directly linked to the TC vision or
strategic areas and might be interesting to you:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20464/making-openstack-more-palatable-to-part-time-contributors

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20500/first-contact-sig-formation-discussion

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20461/sigs-ii-to-infinity-and-beyond

https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/summit-schedule/events/20466/openstack-sig-k8s-and-k8s-sig-openstack-collaborations

I certainly missed others -- feel free to reply to this to flag them!

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

For the coming week, I expect the main topic of discussion to be Summit
preparations !

== Skipping next two status updates ==

Due to travel and low expected activity on the governance repository
front during summit, I'll be skipping the next two reports. The next one
shall be published on Friday, November 17.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)