[openstack-dev] [nova][ironic] Concerns over rigid resource class-only ironic scheduling

Nisha Agarwal agarwalnisha1980 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 03:24:22 UTC 2017

Hi John,

>@Nisha I think that should largely allow you to construct the same
behavior you have today, or am I totally missing what you are wanting to do?

Yes, i agree that qualitative capabilities are covered by your spec and
will give us the behaviour as its today with your spec implemented.

Regards
Nisha

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:57 PM, Wan-yen Hsu <wanyenhsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In Nisha's message, "capabilities" refers to
> "ComputeCapabilitiesFilter".   "capabilities" provides a lot of flexibility
> for scheduling.  It supports qualitative as well as quantitative
> attributes.  It supports a variety of operators such as ">=", "<", "=",
> etc.   For instance, with "capabilities", one can create a flavor for
> "GPU_Count >=2".  Quantity matters for workloads.  A workload may require
> at least 2GPUs or at least certain amount of SSD capacity to meet the
> performance requirements.   Trait will help but it only supports
> qualitative attributes.  Therefore, we still need "capabilities".
>
> In your example, you would create a resource class that specifies the
> number of GPUs. If there is a machine with no GPU, it would be a different
> resource class than a machine with a GPU. Likewise, a machine with 2 GPUs
> would be a different class. This gives you the ability to match the request
> to the need. Saying you need a machine with at least 2 GPUs means that you
> could end up with a machine with 100 GPUs - ok, I know that's not
> realistic, but it illustrates my point. Each hardware combination is a
> separate resource class. If your workload requires 2 GPUs and SSD, there
> are a finite number of hardware combinations available. You pick the flavor
> (i.e., resource class) that matches your need.
>

> -- Ed Leafe

The Secret Of Success is learning how to use pain and pleasure, instead
of having pain and pleasure use you. If You do that you are in control
of your life. If you don't life controls you.