[openstack-dev] [all] [elections] Technical Committee Election Results

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Oct 26 12:42:35 UTC 2017

On 26/10/17 11:27 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Tony Breeds wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:06:46PM -0400, David Moreau Simard wrote:
>>> Was it just me or did the "official" period for campaigning/questions was
>>> awfully short ?
>>>
>>> The schedule [1] went:
>>> ​TC Campaigning: (Start) Oct 11, 2017 23:59 UTC (End) Oct 14, 2017 23:45
>>> UTC
>>
>> The original was:
>>   - name: 'TC Campaigning'
>>     start: '2017-10-09T23:59'
>>     end:   '2017-10-12T23:45'
>>
>> but that needed to be adjusted (https://review.openstack.org/509654/)
>>
>> While that was still the same duration it was mid-week.
>>
>>> ​That's three days, one of which was a saturday.
>>> Was it always this short ? It seems to me that this is not a lot of time to
>>> the community to ask (read, and answer) thoughful ​questions.
>
>There used to be no campaigning period at all, so it had been shorter :)
>
>>> I realize this doesn't mean you can't keep asking questions once the actual
>>> election voting start but I wonder if we should cut a few days from the
>>> nomination and give it to the campaigning.
>>
>> I can't find anything that documents how long the nomination period
>> needed to be, perhaps I missed it?  So we could do this but it's already
>> quite short.  So more likely we could just extend the Campaigning period
>> if that's the consensus.
>
>Duration of campaigning period is not mandated by the TC charter, so
>left at the appreciation of election officials.
>
>> The whole election takes close to 3 weeks of officials time so I'd like
>> to ask we be mindful of that before we extend things too much
>
>It's clearly a balance between having interesting discussions and
>triggering election fatigue. I'd say we need to have /some/ campaigning
>time but not too much :)
>
>Ideally discussions would start once people self-nominate, and we could
>keep the period between nomination close and election start relatively
>short (3/4 business days max).

As an observation, participating in the elections (not only as an election
official but also as a candidate) can be stressful.

I personally don't think the campaing period was too short. I saw enough
interactions between candidates and the rest of the community, which was useful
for me to make up my mind and vote. This is, of course, my own view and I don't
mean to imply David's view is not valid.

I would be a bit hesitant to make the total election period too long but I'm
sure we cand adjust a few things here and there. I would also prefer waiting
until the nomination period is closed to start discussion. It might not feel
fair if the discussions start early and then some candidacies use the data from
the discussions as promotion. Again, personal preference.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco