[openstack-dev] [ironic] [Openstack-operators] replace node "tags" with node "traits"

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at calavera.ca
Wed Oct 25 16:55:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Loo, Ruby <ruby.loo at intel.com> wrote:
> Hello ironic'ers,
>
> A while ago, we approved a spec to add node tag support to ironic [1]. The
> feature itself did not land yet (although some of the code has). Now that
> the (nova) community has come up with traits, ironic wants to support node
> traits, and there is a spec proposing that [2]. At the ironic node level,
> this is VERY similar to the node tag support, so the thought is to drop (not
> implement) the node tagging feature, since the node traits feature could be
> used instead. There are a few differences between the tags and traits.
> "Traits" means something in OpenStack, and there are some restrictions about
> it:
>
> - max 50 per node
>
> - names must be one of those in os-traits library OR prefixed with 'CUSTOM_'
>
> For folks that wanted the node tagging feature, will this new node traits
> feature work for your use case? Should we support both tags and traits? I
> was wondering about e.g. using ironic standalone.
>
> Please feel free to comment in [2].
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --ruby
>
> [1]
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/approved/nodes-tagging.html

Are tags/traits serving a different purpose? One serves the purpose of
helping the scheduling/placement while the other is more or less aims
at grouping for the "end users"?
I understand that the code will be *very* similar but who/what will be
the consumers/users?
I fell they won't be the same and could artificially limit its use due
to technical/design "limitations". (must be in os-traits or be
prefixed by CUSTOM)

For example which I personally foresee:
* I might want to populate Ironic inventory from an external system
which would also injects the appropriate traits.
* I might also want some technical people to use/query Ironic and
allow them to tag nodes based on their own needs while not messing
with the traits part (as it's managed by an external system and will
influence the scheduling later)

Lets not assume traits/tags have the same purpose and same user.

--
Mathieu