[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 43

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 09:17:20 UTC 2017

On 24/10/17 19:26 +0100, Chris Dent wrote:
># TC Participation
>
>At last Thursday's [office
>hours](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-10-19.log.html#t2017-10-19T15:01:02)
>Emilien asked, as a thought experiment, what people thought of the
>idea of TC term limits. In typical office hours fashion, this quickly
>went off into a variety of topics, some only tangentially related to
>term limits.
>
>To summarize, incompletely, the pro-reason is: Make room and
>opportunities for new leadership. The con-reason is: Maintain a degree
>of continuity.
>
>This led to some discussion of the value of "history and baggage" and
>whether such things are a keel or anchor in managing the nautical
>metaphor of OpenStack. We did not agree, which is probably good
>because somewhere in the middle is likely true.
>
>Things then circled back to the nature of the TC: court of last resort
>or something with a more active role in executive leadership. If the former,
>who does the latter? Many questions related to significant change are
>never resolved because it is not clear who does these things.
>
>There's a camp that says "the people who step up to do it". In my experience
>this is a statement made by people in a position of privilege and may
>(intentionally or otherwise) exclude others or lead to results which have
>unintended consequences.
>
>This then led to meandering about the nature of facilitation.
>
>(Like I said, a variety of topics.)
>
>We did not resolve these questions except to confirm that the only way
>to address these things is to engage with not just the discussion, but
>also the work.

Sad I couldn't attend this office hour :(

I would love to see this idea being explored further. Perhaps a mailing list
thread, then a resolution (Depending on the ML thread feedback) and some f2f
conversations at the next PTG (or even the forum.

Emilien, up to start the thread?
Flavio

># OpenStack Technical Blog
>
>Josh Harlow showed up with [an
>idea](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-10-19.log.html#t2017-10-19T18:19:30).
>An OpenStack equivalent of the [kubernetes
>blog](http://blog.kubernetes.io/), focused on interesting technology
>in OpenStack. This came up again on
>[Friday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-10-20.log.html#t2017-10-20T18:13:01).
>
>It's clear that anyone and everyone _could_ write their own blogs and
>syndicate to the [OpenStack planet](http://planet.openstack.org/) but
>this doesn't have the same panache and potential cadence as an
>official thing _might_. It comes down to people having the time. Eking
>out the time for this blog, for example, can be challenging.
>
>Since this is the second [week in a
>row](https://anticdent.org/tc-report-42.html) that Josh showed up with
>an idea, I wonder what next week will bring?

I might not be exactly the same but, I think the superuser's blog could be a
good place to do some of this writing. There are posts of various kinds in that
blog: technical, community, news, etc. I wonder how many folks from the
community are aware of it and how many would be willing to contribute to it too.
Contributing to the superuser's blog is quite simple, really.

http://superuser.openstack.org/

Flavio

--
@flaper87